Sunday, February 22, 2009

Veggies are Delish, and a Recipe you HAVE to try!

So I ate lots of green veggies this week and I lost 2 lbs! So now I am 259 lbs.! Not a whole lot to report this week besides the fact that I ate vegetables in handfuls! For anyone who is making the recipes I post, here is one that you HAVE TO TRY!!!!! It is delicious, and it makes you see just how much chicken is in one breast. After pounding out one breast of chicken it looked like a bear claw. I thought, you know I could eat half of that and totally be satisfied. Also, I started tracking my points on weight watchers.com. Anyone that is trying to lose weight and not writing down the food you eat in a day, needs to start. After looking at everything that I have been eating day in and day out I see where my problem areas are and what time of day I get cravings. Try this recipe:

Pecan-Crusted Chicken

Makes 4 servings
Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1-1 ¼ pounds), trimmed (see Tip) ½ cup pecan halves or pieces¼ cup plain dry breadcrumbs1 ½ teaspoons freshly grated orange zest½ teaspoon salt¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (see Note)1 large egg white2 tablespoons water1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
Pecan-Crusted Chicken Ingredients Cont.

Pecan-Crusted Chicken Instructions
1. Working with one piece of chicken at a time, place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even 1/4-inch thickness.2. Place pecans, breadcrumbs, orange zest, salt and ground chipotle in a food processor and pulse until the pecans are finely ground. Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish. Whisk egg white and water in a shallow dish until combined. Dip each chicken breast in the egg-white mixture, then dredge both sides in the pecan mixture.3. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add half the chicken and cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Carefully wipe out the pan with a paper towel and add the remaining oil. Cook the remaining chicken, adjusting the heat as needed to prevent scorching. Serve immediately.
Pecan-Crusted Chicken Instructions Cont.

Pecan-Crusted Chicken Tips
Tip: It can be hard to find individual chicken breasts small enough for our recommended 4-ounce (uncooked) portion size. If yours are closer to 5 ounces each, remove the tender (about 1 ounce) from the underside to get the correct portion size. Wrap and freeze the leftover tenders; when you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry, for chicken fingers or in soups.Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeƱo peppers. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty spice section of most supermarkets.
Pecan-Crusted Chicken Tips Cont.

Pecan-Crusted Chicken Nutrition Information
Per serving: 281 calories; 15 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrate; 29 g protein; 2 g fiber; 430 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.Nutrition bonus: Selenium (34% daily value), good source of omega-3s.1/2 Carbohydrate ServingExchanges: 1/2 starch, 4 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Pecan-Crusted Chicken Nutrition Information Cont.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mary said...

2 lbs! Yay Carrie! I'm a fan of WW. It's the program I use to keep on track now and was also the one I used when I lost my 20 lbs of pesky weight after my third pregnancy. I thought the weight would just come off. Ha! After almost a year, I decided I needed to do something. Hooray for WW and hooray for Carrie!!!

Mom Johnson said...

Good for you!!!! I'm going to try the WW website. I'm sort of stuck--of course it didn't help to have my mouth in stitches.(And I don't mean laughing) Keep it up Carrie, you are amazing.