Sunday, February 8, 2009

Cherry Chocolates and Laffy Taffies!

So does the title get your attention. I know your probably thinking I fell off the wagon, but I didn't! 1 lb gone, I am now 261lbs. I am happy this is coming off slowly, and its because I know I am not depriving myself of the things I enjoy. This has made it so much easier to stick to it. The word is MODERATION, say it with me M-O-D-E-R-A-T-I-O-N. This week I ate a few cherry chocolates and laffy taffies.
Every other Wednesday this woman we call the mountain chick comes into our office. She drives around a truck with a camper full of candy and treats. She is such a nice lady that we all have a hard time saying no. So what I did is I got some sugar treats that I have medium feelings for. I like them but I could also do without them. I know, your thinking if you could do without them, then why not do without them. This is an unrealistic goal for me every now and again I have to have something sugary and if I have candy around that I have mediocre feelings for then I am less likely to eat the whole bag. That way I can have a portion size feed that craving and move on. So I got cherry chocolates and laffy taffies. Then I put them in the break room (not at my desk) so that A. I wouldn't keep putting my hands in the "candy drawer" and lose track of how many I was eating and B. I would have to walk back and forth between the break room and my desk anytime I wanted some. Baby steps people. Maybe one day I will be able to give up candy all together. What a great dream!
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all the great comments last week. Once again I have the most wonderful support system and I get warm fuzzies every time I read your comments. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
Great recipe that I tried this week is Kung-poa Chicken. If you like spicy food, and I do mean SPICY then try out this recipe:


Kung Pao Chicken

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut up
1 T cornstarch
1 tsp. oil
3 T chopped green onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ to 1 ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
¼ to ½ tsp. ginger
2 T wine vinegar
2 T soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
1/3 c unsalted, dry roasted peanuts
4 c hot cooked rice

Combine chicken and cornstarch in a small bowl. Toss to coat. Heat oil in skillet or wok on medium-high heat. Add chicken. Stir fry 5-7 minutes until no longer pink in center. Remove from skillet. Add onions, garlic, red pepper and ginger to skillet. Stir fry 15 seconds. Remove from heat. Combine vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar in small bowl. Stir well. Add to skillet. Return chicken to skillet. Stir until well coated. Stir in nuts. Heat thoroughly, stirring. Serve over hot rice. Makes 4 servings.


Serve over brown rice for some fiber. It is colorful and delicious! If you have any easy recipe's that are healthy please feel free to email them or post them in the comments.

7 comments:

Mom Johnson said...

That's 10 lbs. YAHOO! You're doin' it! You can be proud of yourself--don't let the little slips get you down, but cherry chocolates?(yuck!) Now a loaf of homemade bread--yum.(And I do mean the whole loaf) I guess we all have our own vices.

Shauna said...

10 lbs. is quite the milestone. Super Job Carrie! I find that if you avoid he "good stuff" all the time that when you do have it in front of you I eat the whole stinking bag. My friends say that Sunday is there treat day. They don't go crazy but that is there day for chocolate or whatever and really look forward to it. I have before put a fries in my mouth, bit down a little and then spit it out. Gets the taste in my mouth but I don't swallow. I know pretty lame! I am a little strange. Love you!

Shauna said...

Ok, I just have to say I just reread what I wrote and there are a ton of mistakes. YIKES! I really am not stupid, it's just been a long Sunday :)

Ryan and Jen Johnson said...

One time I ate two of those really big boxes of hot tamales - that was a mistake. 10 lbs is a really big deal Carrie. If you think about it, if you loose 1 lb a week, that is 52 lbs a year. Not too shabby. Steady and slow wins the race. Keep it up Carrie!!!!

Ryan

Journaling said...

Carrie...so Kung Pao Chicken was the bomb diggity? Man what would do without that GREAT friend of yours who is ALWAYS giving you such good recipes. Man you gotta love her! Good luck this week..let the diet start again! Your doing good..keep confident.

Angela and Tyler said...

GREEEEAT JOB! Way to stick with it...we made the recipe tonight and it was super good! I am obsessed with recipes so it is fun that you post them every now and then! We love you and love seeing all your progress you are making, are you going granola on us or what?

Love, Ang and Ty

Happy-Hardings said...

Carrie, that is amazing, you are doing it! You are motivating me! That is a good idea, I would eat the whole thing of cherry chocolates, I need to find a treat I feel mediocre about.