Monday, May 16, 2011

Pretty Puree's for Tummy Troubles!

Some of you might know that I have had a frustrating couple of months with my baby girl and her sensitive stomach. Here's a little background: Around the middle of March, I had to stop nursing because my milk was drying up and I felt like Hanna wasn't getting the nutrition that she was needing, so I started her on formula. I was very frustrated when I quit nursing, and sad. I had done everything that I could do to keep my milk supply up. I was eating over 3000 calories a day, drinking 100 oz's of water, drinking mother's milk tea, and taking the supplement Fenugreek. After gaining about 10 pounds from having to eat so much I decided that the best thing to do for both me and Hanna was to stop nursing. This, for some reason, was a really hard decision. I have loved my nursing period and now it's like Hanna is gaining a little independence and getting older. I'm not going to lie, I cried a little.
When I went to the Dr. she told me to start solids in April. So I did some research to try and get a plan in action for how I was going to do this. I could not find any kind of timeline for how much to give her or how many times a day to start with. I knew her little digestive system was new and so you have to introduce them slowly. I didn't know what slowly meant and so I just went for it. After a couple of weeks, I had a baby that wouldn't sleep at night, and was crying a lot because her little tummy hurt. So of course, I sought the advice of my friends on facebook and besides a good cereal that was recommended, I was also recommended a book call "Cooking for Baby". It has a healthy way to introduce fruits, vegetables, and other foods into your babies diet without upsetting their stomach ages 6 months-18 months.


I had a super fun weekend making baby food. So far, Hanna has tried the Butternut Squash, Pears, and Zucchini. She has slept better the last few nights and I am hoping that this will be trending.

Here are some pretty pictures of the colorful puree's:


The before pic's of pretty pears, and apples.


Pears getting ready to be steamed.


Finished product for apples, and pears. The picture doesn't do it justice. The colors were so beautiful! And because of my blending beast the Vitamix, I didn't have to remove the skins so there is that much more nutrition in these baby foods.


Butternut Squash. If you don't have one of these 3 cup Cuisinart food processor's you should totally get one! I probably use it 4 times a week at least! Best $40 I've ever spent!


Finished product for butternut squash, sweet potatoes, zucchini, and sweet peas. So beautiful!

For any of you who might be impressed by this feet, don't be. You to could make baby food for your little one. It took me one day and I have enough food for probably two months! Next time I will calculate how much money I am saving by making it myself. Also, once you have frozen the food into little baggies, it stays good for up to 3 months and is still healthier for your baby than bottled baby food!

6 comments:

Amanda C said...

Carrie these pictures are amazing! I am so glad this has been a fun/positive experience for you. I know it has been for me. And Lucinda loves the fresh food vs. the icky store bought kind. I am excited to make prunes and you can freeze the juice the prunes cook in and use when they are older and drink juice! I love that I can make combinations that you cannot buy in the store and I am sure it is more nutritious. Keep me updated! I hope this keeps working for Hanna's little tummy. :)

Farrah said...

I made all of my own too and we loved it. I especially loved the pears and I plan to make frozen pear popsicles for us this summer the same way I made the baby food because they were so utterly delicious!

Harris Family said...

I'll have to try your book out! Thanks for your comment on my blog- Ive got to get it together!! Thanks for the reassurance. You rock with your hypno stuff!! I hope you get to do a Vback too! If you made it to an 8 then you were pretty much done- the pain is no different. Your 2nd birth will be much quicker too Im sure. If I decide to have a 4th kid I hope I get a girl just like your family! I'll have a little Carrie with 3 crazy brother!- maybe!!

Hannah is absolutely gorgeous too! She is growing up fast!

reminiscephotography said...

Impressed, Carrie! I'm going to follow your foot steps next go around.

Mary said...

Hanna has an awesome mom!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

i have a friend who did this too! i am so impressed by the time you took to do this! so much better than the bottled stuff too! way to go mama!