Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What Happened to February?

Man, this stay-at-home-mom business makes the days melt into each other. I Love every second of it, as Dustin says I am "Living the Life".
This last month seems like everyday was filled with one thing.......naps, or lack of naps to be precise. I have been reading a book called "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" ever since Hanna was born. I myself, am a very scheduled person and so I have been determined to get Hanna on some sort of schedule so that I can stay sane. She, on the other hand, has a different agenda. She loves to be awake even if that means crying endlessly. The day starts off great. She take a morning nap by 9:00, but only sleeps for 40 minutes, which according to the book is not a restful nap. But she wakes up happy so I let it slide. Then we go to the gym where she gets to spend some fun time with the kid's club ladies while mommy works out. She always falls asleep and takes what the book calls a "baby power nap". This gives her just enough nap to stay happy for about the car ride home and then she is a cranky pants again. She goes down at about 12:30 for her second nap and again, sleeps for about 40 minutes. This nap leaves her not crying when she gets up but by 2:30 she is a mess. I try to put her down for a third nap and she is not having it! Or if she does take a nap it is about 20 minutes and then I get to let her be whiny until about 6:30 when I get her ready for bed. I also start dinner at about 6:00 because Dustin gets home around 7:00 and she cries almost the entire time I am making dinner. Ugh! The book says it should start getting better around 4 months, and that they will take less naps, but the naps they do take will be longer. I'm starting to think the book is a lier, or my child has something wrong with her. I just want her to be healthy and happy, is that so wrong?! I guess every child is different and I have to learn what works for her.

February has been a changing month for Dustin and I because we finally renewed our gym passes. Dustin is pretty pumped about working out which is so refreshing. Usually, its me pulling him kicking and screaming. We are planning on trying to have another baby in January 2012 and so I think that has motivated both of us to get in shape. Hanna has been hard enough. My back is killing me from picking her up and down and I need to have energy because pretty soon she'll be crawling all over the place! Dustin and I have made a commitment to each other to get healthy.

On the Hanna front, besides the hole nap taking fiasco's, she is becoming the sweetest baby. She truly has a personality of her own, and is the joy of my life. On Sunday, February 27 she rolled over for the first time. I was so excited, I was practically screaming with happiness. She was looking at me like I was a crazy person. She has also discovered her tongue. She rolls it all over in her mouth and sticks it out like a lizard. It is so cute! She also has come to finally like her swing. It only took her four months. I almost put it on craigslist to sell. I am finding, now that she is starting to use her hands better, that we have no toys for her to play with. So our next goal is to slowly build her toy collection. I started with link a doo's, that I hang from her carseat. They are really helping her motor skills.

Not a bad February, and with the weather getting warmer March should be even better. Hopefully I will get some more cute pictures (and maybe even some videos) of Hanna. Until then, here's a cute picture of Daddy and Hanna in her bear eared jacket.

2 comments:

MaMaMaMandy said...

Little babies are so awesome- but sleeping can be tricky. I don't even remember anymore how often Jovie napped, but obviously Heavenly Father wants me to have more kids so he isn't letting me remember the rough stuff! ;)

You will get through those crazy nap issues. I may be crazy, but I didn't really take one book as the only thing to go by- every kid is so different. Just find that happy medium between your schedule and her lack of one ;)

I have been the laziest lady as far as work outs go- but today while turning the tv on I saw an infomercial for "Hip Hop Abs" and remembered how much fun that is! Get it if you don't already have it- I know you can groove girl!!

Amanda C said...

Being a SAHM, time definitely flies! I haven't figured out the schedule thing yet either. She does the 40 min nap in the morning and today she had a good afternoon nap, which is rare. Then we went for a walk and had another short nap. She goes to bed at 6:30, I wake her up at 10 to feed her and then she usually sleeps until 5:30. That is the only part of our schedule that doesn't change and seems to work out well. I figure it will all work out in the end. I will just keep trying!

I have a hard time finding time to work out. I really need to get better at going. I wonder if my gym has child care. Although, I probably wouldn't take her there until RSV season is over. I am super paranoid. :/

Yay Hanna for rolling over!! Lucinda will roll over a bunch and then not do it for a week. She hasn't rolled over since last Thursday. I just love seeing all of the new stuff that babies do. I am constantly amazed and proud of my beautiful girl. Being a Mommy is sooo amazing. Gives me chills thinking about it. I never thought I would have the chance and am so glad I have.

Hanna is so cute in that little jacket!!!!