Thursday, April 16, 2009

First Week On My New Program!

So the good news is that I finally feel like I am on track again. The bad news is that in my almost 3 week downward spiral I gained back most of the weight I lost in the first place.
The new program is extreme and crazy, but keep in mind that it is Dr. monitored and it is only for people who have at least 50 lbs. or more to lose........ I'm not just trying to get ready for swimsuit season here! It is a weight loss program called Opti-fast. It is basically an 800 calorie diet that consists of only liquid shakes that you drink 5 times a day (you see why I say extreme and crazy!). So far I have been on it a week and I have lost 11 lbs. It has been a hard week because I got headaches from the lack of caffeine and sugar. They also said that a side effect for the first couple of weeks is lack of energy, which would explain why I have taken a nap everyday since last Thursday, and I'm not a nap person! The Program includes a Doctor, Dietitian, and a Behavioral Therapist. You also have to attend a group session every Thursday night for two hours. For the first 13 weeks you drink nothing but these shakes and its what they call the Active Weight Loss Stage. The second stage is called The Transition Period, this lasts 6 weeks and they slowly start adding meals back into your diet. The last phase is maintenance and attending group sessions. They say to look at it as a vacation from food.
My first day was last Friday the 3rd, it was perfect because that was when I was hosting Bunco at my house (sarcasm). I know that was probably a stupid idea to start that day, but I thought these are the kind of struggles that I will be faced with in the next few months so I mine as well start now. Have you ever tried getting ready for a party and not be able to taste your own food to double check that it tastes good? I would put a little in my mouth and then spit it out into the sink. It was a good time, let me tell you!
Then there is Easter! Poor Dustin did without his chocolate bunny this year and had leftovers instead of the traditional Ham and Funeral Potatoes, what a sad life! My neighbor even offered to bring him over some leftovers and he supportivly declined. I have a wonderful supportive husband. Another up side is that my kitchen has never been cleaner!
Week 1 Down only 18 more weeks to go!

2 comments:

Happy-Hardings said...

Wow that sounds heavy duty, and really hard. That's great that there's therapy with it. I wish I had a better understanding of why I eat the way I do.

Mom Johnson said...

Carrie, I was proud of you this weekend--it would have been easy to just let it go for a couple of days, but you stuck to it--You're incredible. It's going to pay off in the end, I mean I can't keep up with you at the gym--what does that say?! Keep it up, be strong! I miss you!
Mom